S&C CHUNKY S Silver
S&C CHUNKY S Silver
*This piece share inventory with our real shop. Please contact us.
Cracks and Shrinnks
Artificial products have advantage of homogenization and efficient productivity, on the other hand natural products have individual differences and heterogeneous property. However, the boundaries can be changed vaguely depending on the way of thinking. He thinks that even substances classified as artificial could have characteristics like natural ones. Without the production loop for human selfish reasons, the mixture of artificial things and natural ones can be located as a new value. This work is a proposal of a new material for reaffirming the perspectiveon nature. The raw materials are polystyrene, which has the property of shrinking by heat, and two types of acrylic paint, which shrink and crack following it. The variations of the properties of the materials, the firing temperature and time were examined to observe the curing. The resulting texture differs depending on the temperature of the oven, the thickness and density of polystyrene, the distribution and concentration of the acrylic paint, the humidity, the temperature, and the time spent in the air. CRACKS AND SHRINKS is made of artificial materials and is made by human hands but final shape of it can not be predicted by humans. It is a new material expression in which the texture changes due to various factors.
Based in Tokyo, my production is attributed to the research on the nature of materials and their historical context. Free from the restraint of the production domain, values keep evolving being filtered by contemporary factors. Under this condition, the object is born with the natural influence of its surrounding people and environment. The process, the generation of new connections and functions, itself becomes an artwork.
Note: Each piece is hand work by the artist, even the same piece will have a slightly different expression.
· Please note that the products listed on this website may be out of stock at the time you place your order, as they are shared with the stock in the shop.
· Also, as many items are one-offs, they may be unavailable if they are already sold. Thank you for your understanding.
· The color and texture of the product may differ from the actual product due to the characteristics and settings of your monitor.
· Patterned products may differ in the way the pattern appears.
· Product specifications and prices are subject to change without notice.